Struggling with acne can be frustrating enough; acne scars can often make it seem like your breakout never really went away.
Here’s what happens: acne causes inflammation in the skin that provokes the development of pigment cells. There are steps you can take, however, to reduce the likelihood of experiencing acne scarring and to help minimize the appearance of acne scars.
1. Be diligent about wearing a sunscreen on a daily basis. Sun exposure can darken scars, even on a cloudy day when the sun is hiding—ultraviolet rays are still present.
2. Exfoliate regularly. Alternate between chemical exfoliants (alpha-hydroxy acids, for example) and mechanical exfoliants (facial scrubs). Exfoliating will slough away dead surface cells and increase cellular turnover to reveal a fresh layer of skin.
3. Choose products with ingredients that possess brightening properties such as Kojic Acid, Licorice Extract, Grape Extract, and Mulberry Extract. Our Whitening Mask contains all of the above. Vitamin C also has brightening properties.
4. Avoid picking your skin! This unfortunate (yet super-common) habit can provoke scarring or prevent healing.
(Read: 5 Acne Treatment Tips)
5. Use spot treatments to speed the healing time of acne breakouts.
Put these tips into practice for a smoother, more even-toned complexion.