Editor’s Note: Our very own Kim has once again left us- this time to complete her last year of business school. We’d be sad to see her go if we weren’t so proud of her and thankful for the amazing work she’s done here at Mario Badescu this summer. She has a good head start on the school year with her favorite Mario skin care products! Check out what she’s taking with her:
I’m thoroughly convinced that college life exists in its own little bubble separate from that of the real world; people subsist on coffee, classes, crunches, and cocktails before repeating it all over again the next day. Then the next day. And the day after that.
You get the idea.
It’s almost too easy – encouraged, even – to take shortcuts around normal, everyday regimens. We’ve – I’m still a part of this camp – even been reduced to wearing sweats emblazoned with logos of our soon-to-be alma mater. Wear your sweats if you insist. In fact, do it with pride! But whatever you do, never skimp on skincare. (And aim for at least the minimum required hours of sleep, please!).
It might seem a little tedious especially after a long day holed up at the library, but trust: it’s well worth the extra two minutes. If you’re going put your skin under that much stress, following a proper regimen is the least you could do for it, right? What you give is what you get. (There’s a little Philosophy 101 for you – it’s Buddhism, I believe.)
Take it from a girl whose skin went all sorts of haywire her freshman year and promptly learned her lesson. These were the essentials I wish I had that first semester, and the musts that got my skin back into shape and kept it in check through finals, late-nights, stressful classes, and everything else in between.
- Enzyme Cleansing Gel. The perfect basic cleanser for most combo/oily skin types (the Seaweed Cleansing Soap does the job just as well for drier skin). Not only does it get everything off – dirt, oil, makeup, etc. – but it’s always an instant refresher that wakes both me and my skin. It’s almost just as good as a cup of coffee or green tea, I tell ya.
- Glycolic Foaming Cleanser. If on the off chance you’ve fallen asleep in a pile of books without cleansing properly (oh, the college life), deep clean with this the next day. Wash with this, and it’ll be as if no skin sin was committed. It’s fantastic for getting your skin back into clear, tip-top shape.
- Cucumber Cleansing Lotion. An instant refresher that ensures a super clean complexion.
- Oil-Free Moisturizer SPF 30. Hydration! Sun protection! Essentials for everyone, regardless of age and educational status.
- Ceramide Eye Gel. I know you have a mini-fridge in that dorm or apartment of yours; mini-fridges come with the college territory. Spare the tiniest bit of room for this eye cream (or finish that bottle of water, fast). Keeping it cool means you get an instant wake-me-up that not only feels good, but makes you look good too. Goodbye, puffiness!
- Herbal Hydrating Serum. You’re running from class to class across campus, and in between the nippy fall weather (let’s not get started on when it starts snowing…) and extreme indoor heating/air situation going on, your skin’s bound to start feeling dehydrated. This little bottle is the perfect size to slip into your pencil pouch and applies easily without having to worry about getting greasy (or messing up makeup).
- Anti-Acne Serum. I’d recommend the Drying Lotion for obvious purposes, and although I have no problem sporting a bespeckled face for my roommate (or the entire dorm building), it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Instead, use the Anti-Acne Serum as needed (or nightly, if you’re particularly acne-prone); it blends right into the skin and helps target existing spots while preventing new ones. Acne is the last thing you want to be worrying about come exams!
- Special Healing Powder. Combo/oily types can get greasy throughout the day. Rather than have a slick T-zone, dust a light layer of this powder over your moisturizer (or makeup) in the morning. A high sulfur content helps absorb oil and prevent acne by keeping skin in check.
- AHA Botanical Body Soap. A classic body wash that gently exfoliates (less work for you!) and keeps body acne at bay is a godsend; the less we need to tote in our shower caddy, the easier the trip to the communal bathroom.
- Vitamin E Body Lotion. Hydration, tip to toe, is essential in maintaining the overall health of your skin. This one happens to smell lovely too, and doesn’t have you leaving trails of greasy residue wherever you decide to claim as your next study spot.
- Hydrating Hand Cream. All that writing and typing and running around is bound to leave hands chapped.
- Summer Shine Body Lotion. It’s Friday (well, Saturday really), and I’m in love. If there was ever a time to skimp on a night-out beauty routine, it’s now: the Summer Shine is equal parts hydrating skincare and shimmery shine for a gorgeous, luminescent glow.
Shower caddy or shelf space with the books? Where do you keep your skincare essentials?
. . .