Let’s see how much you know about what’s really in the water.
As summer winds down, it’s time to take stock of what’s happened to our skin in the past few wonderful months.
So, gather ’round, science whizzes. Today’s quiz features chlorine, a common chemical found in more than just water. While most people associate chlorine with summertime pool cleaning, there are other items in our everyday lives that expose us frequently to this chemical. Let’s see how much you know about chlorine!
1. At room temperature, what is chlorine?
2. Aside from disinfecting water, which of these is chlorine used in?
a. Cleaning agent
b. Sanitizing sewage and industrial waste
c. Bleaching paper and cloth
d. All of the above
3. True or False: Chlorine can cause skin and eye irritation.
4. When is the best time to wash off after swimming in a chlorinated pool?
a. Right away
b. Within 20 minutes
c. A few hours later
d. The next day
5. Chlorine is one of the ___ most commonly made chemicals in America.
6. When in contact with the skin it can cause:
c. irritation or rash
d. all of the above
7. True or False: Chlorine may cause premature aging.
Now that you know the facts about chlorine, what has been your experience swimming in chlorinated water and how do you keep from getting chemically-induced dry skin?
1. C, 2. D., 3. True, 4. A., 5. B., 6. D., 7. True