March 13, 2016
by Kimberly Yang
Comments Off on #MBTravels: How to Pack Light (Even if You’re a Beauty Junkie)
If you haven’t been following our #MBTravels adventures on Snapchat, you’re missing out. Luckily for you, however, there’s more to come—we’re just hopping off the plane from Vail, Colorado to head out to sunny LA for The Makeup Show.
Curious? Follow us on Snapchat at mariobadescu!
For those of you lucky (or un-lucky; perspective is everything) enough to have been spoiled with traveling before the extra baggage charges and 3.4 oz rule, you’ll remember a time when checked luggage and generous carry-ons were a reality.
Alas, times are a-changing when we live in a world where Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (a.k.a. the Minimalist’s Holy How-To Bible) is #life and all your liquids must be decanted into generic bottles and fit into a quart-sized Ziplock. It’s about as un-chic at things get, not to mention, anxiety-inducing for the beauty junkie. How are we to choose between two cleansers we love? What if we need Cream X but only packed Cream Y?!
Trust: I understand the crisis at hand. But with a less-is-more philosophy and a little bit of Marie Kondo’s magic along the way, we can do this. If I can, you can too—and believe me, it took years of weekend-getaways or last-minute trips that taught me a trick or two about learning how to pack light even for a two-week trip:
- Know your TSA rules and regulations. The worst thing that can happen to a beauty junkie is having to tear open a carefully-packed toiletries bag only to have your Holy Grail favorites tossed into some bin. Equally horrible: not having enough room to pack essential clothes and things because your travel beauty bag takes up half your carry-on.
- Keep to your tried-and-true basics. I like to pare down as much as I can—which means a cleanser, toner, moisturizer, mask, and serum are all I need when it comes to skincare. The less you bring, the happier you’ll be, according to Marie Kondo.
- Packettes are a jet-setter’s best friend. Seriously. You don’t need to decant your full-sized products, there’s no fear of spillage, and you save serious space with these little guys. If you have to pack everything in your medicine cabinet, packettes are how you’ll get it done TSA-style. Luckily for you, we gift you three of your choice for FREE with every order—which means you can pick your faves and keep them on hand for your next trip.
- Minis are a must. Deluxe-sized sample are also incredible for travel because you don’t have to deal with the mess that comes with downsizing your full-sized products into jars or bottles that might open-up in your bag.
- Double-bag everything. It’s better to safe than sorry.
Here’s what I always travel with:
- Enzyme Cleansing Gel: This has been my go-to cleanser since day one. It’s gentle, it’s refreshing, and it’s the perfect pick-me-up as both a morning facial wash and evening pick-me-up after a long day.
- Botanical Exfoliating Scrub: Since this scrub’s launch a year ago, I’m not sure how I ever lived without it! Recycled cabin air leaves my skin parched and flaky, so a gentle polish post-flight helps keep my skin soft, smooth, and refreshed.
- Whitening Mask: I’m always looking to hydrate and brighten my complexion whilst travelling, and this has been my go-to. As soon as I get to my hotel and finishing exfoliating, I pop on this mask while making sure my hotel Wi-Fi works J
- Vitamin C Serum: How darling is this mini Vitamin C Serum (which you can get in The Brightening Kit at Ulta)?! Again—brightening is the name of the game when it comes travel beauty, so this little guy remains by my side no matter where I land.
- Facial Spray: Ditto with our cult-favorite facial spray. Instant hydration plus a boost of radiance is much-needed while I’m away, and this rosewater mist does the trick.
. . .
What minis do YOU travel with?
March 7, 2016
by Kimberly Yang
Comments Off on Glowing Skin Made Easy
Seriously. It’s as easy as 1-2-3.
Beauty trends come and go—but here at Mario Badescu Skin Care, glowing skin is always in. A regimen is ideal for keeping skin in tip-top condition, but when you’re in a pinch (especially on a Monday morning), here’s how to fake looking refreshed and well-rested.
- Scrub. Granular exfoliants are particularly satisfying when you want to know you’re giving yourself a good scrub. Our Strawberry Face Scrub, formulated with real strawberry seeds, provides gentle yet effective buffing action to help revive lackluster skin and get rid of dulling buildup. Plus, the act of massaging your skin helps boost circulation and gets blood flowing. (And look! You didn’t even have to run outside a mile to get that healthy, rosy flush!)
- Nourish. A freshly-scrubbed complexion means that skin is all the more ready to soak up the goods. Take advantage and nourish it with your favorite moisturizer or cream. Antioxidant-rich The Moisture Magnet (SPF 15) is our go-to between seasons when you’re craving intense hydration but in need of a slightly lighter formula. (Try it and you’ll see why makeup artists love prepping their clients’ skin with this moisturizer!) Plus, it offers broad spectrum protection—a must for keeping skin looking radiant and youthful years from now.
- Glow. You know the drill. Add dewy radiance whenever, wherever with our cult-favorite facial mist. With a blend of Aloe, Rose Hips, Gardenia, Bladderwrack, and Thyme to instantly revitalize all skin types, there’s good reason why this is the facial spray has been the talk of town for years now.
. . .
What’s your glow-on-the-go regimen look like?
March 5, 2016
by Kimberly Yang
Comments Off on How to Use Silver Powder
You have it, you’ve heard about it, but just how do you use it?
A word of warning first, though: be careful when opening up the jar (especially if you’re wearing black!).
Here’s how to use Silver Powder—but a word of warning first, though: be careful when opening up the jar (especially if you’re wearing black!):
- Start with a clean face. Cleanse and exfoliate to help get rid of all the dirt, oil, and dead skin cell buildup. Make sure you focus on the T-zone—especially around the edges of your nose—so you can ensure that our Silver Powder will work even more effectively at absorbing all that pore-clogging gunk.
→ If you’re dry…use the Botanical Exfoliating Scrub.
→ If you’re oily… use the Kiwi Face Scrub.
→ If you’re broken out… no granular exfoliants for you! Instead, use our Glycolic Foaming Cleanser.
- Prep and apply the Silver Powder. This is the fun part because you’re essentially DIY-ing your mask. You can do it one of two ways:
- Dampen a cotton ball or pad with water and dip it into the powder. Then, press the product on your nose, chin, or wherever you’re seeing congestion.
- Scoop out some of the powder into the lid or a small dish. Add equal parts water to the powder and mix it together using a (clean) spatula/spoon until it turns into a paste. Then, apply it as you would a mask—again, on the nose, chin, and wherever else you see blackheads.
- Wait 8-10 minutes, or until the mixture is thoroughly dried. Wipe off using your favorite toner until all traces of the powder are gone.
- (Optional) Inspect results in mirror. You don’t have to, but you’ll want to. 😉
. . .
March 1, 2016
by Kimberly Yang
Comments Off on The Monthly Edit: March Skincare Essentials
Welcome to #MarioMonthlyEdit, where you (yes, you) get a sneak peek at our current essentials. If you missed our first installment last month, check it out here. (We loved hearing all about your January must-haves!)
For those of you who don’t follow the news for important things like The Groundhog’s Verdict (yes, capitalized) on the annual, seasonal shift, I’ll save you the trouble: The Groundhog did not see his shadow. This is a good thing, according to Groundhog fans.
Spring is coming early—!—which means we need to rethink our skincare game. The past two months have been heavily focused on uber-rich, nourishing creams. And while some of us still need them to help battle winter’s drying effects, we can start introducing lighting alternatives back into our regimen.
The goal? To keep hydration the priority, but rev up our brightening regimen in time for spring.
Here are some of our March skincare essentials:
- Botanical Exfoliating Scrub: Every time we use this it makes us think of spring/summer months. It’s light, it’s refreshing, and it’s revitalizing on skin. A little goes a long way (you could use a bean-sized dollop for your entire face) in leaving your skin soft, smooth, and glowing.
- Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs & Rosewater: Okay. When are we not using the Facial Spray?
- Rose Hips Nourishing Oil: Rose Hips Extract is packed with antioxidant Vitamin C, which means it helps brighten dull complexions while rehydrating skin. While this product is best suited for Combination, Dry or Sensitive skin types, it’s a great cold-weather alternative to the Herbal Hydrating Serum for those with combo-oily skin. Simply apply where you see dryness or flakiness—for most, it’s around the corners of the nose, tops of the cheeks, between the brows—to help restore moisture back into the skin.
- Bee Pollen Night Cream: Remember our goals from above (re: nourish and brighten as we prep our skin for spring)? This night cream ticks all the boxes. Enriched with antioxidant and nutrient-rich ingredients like Bee Pollen Extract, Beeswax, and Peanut Oil, it’s formula designed to soften, smooth, rejuvenate your skin overnight so you wake up radiant.
- Vitamin A-D-E Neck Cream: This is why.
- Whitening Mask: This hydrating mask not only helps restore moisture, but also boosts glow, too. Natural extracts like Licorice and Mulberry are known skin brighteners that can help inhibit further discoloration and diminish the look of hyperpigmentation.
- Drying Lotion: Another monthly repeater, because no skincare regimen should be without a good spot treatment. Pesky problems pop up when you least expect it—especially when skin is readjusting between seasons—so it’s better to be prepared than not.
- Hydrating Hand Cream: It’s lightweight, hydrating (duh), and non-greasy—which makes it an easy, no-fuss formula. You can literally slap, dash, and go with this one. Plus, it’s infused with Peppermint for a refreshing kick. (#MBSkinTip: Keep a bottle in your car’s cupholder so you never have to suffer a looong commute with dry, cracked hands again.)
. . .
What are YOUR March skincare go-tos between seasons?
February 22, 2016
by Nicole Darmanin
Comments Off on 5 Reasons I Love Vitamin ADE Neck Cream
Face wash is for everyone, eye cream is akin to a 200-level course, but keep a jar of Vitamin A-D-E Neck Cream on hand and you are earning a master’s in good skin. Here are 5 reasons this neck cream is worth the extra step.
Oh, what a lovely neck you have!
1. It contains antioxidants. These are substances that help protect skin by blocking or repairing the damage due to factors that include exposure to the sun’s rays, pollution, and chronological aging.
2. It provides moisture. Hydrated skin looks healthy, vibrant, and yes, youthful. It seems so simple but you might be surprised at what a big difference keeping your skin properly hydrated makes.
3. It contains Hyaluronic Acid. Do you have a tendency to seek out products that contain certain ingredients? I do. When I see hyaluronic acid on a moisturizer or eye cream label, I’m all in. Without getting too scientific, you can think of this ingredient as a magnet for moisture. By binding moisture to the skin, hyaluronic acid is credited with having the ability increase skin’s moisture levels and reduce the appearance of fine lines.
4. It is part of one of my favorite skin “recipes.” When it comes to skin care 1+1 doesn’t always equal 2. When you pair the right products 1+1= magic! Such is the case when you with Mario Badescu Cellufirm Drops and Vitamin A-D-E Neck Cream. First apply a thin layer of Cellufirm Drops to the neck and décolletage, follow with Vitamin A-D-E Neck Cream. I love how my skin looks after using this combo regularly for a week or so.
5. When I have a jar handy I take better care of my skin overall. Someone once told me that you should pay just as much attention to any skin on your body that is exposed to the sun as you do to your face. This advice makes perfect sense. Not taking care of anything but our face is why our neck, chest, and hands are usually what gives our age away. Having a jar of Vitamin A-D-E Neck Cream on my bathroom counter reminds me to extend my face care regimen to the exposed skin below my chin. It sets off the inertia that leads me to use my cleanser, toner, and serum on my neck and décolletage also. Over time I’ve noticed a visible effect on the look and feel of my skin.