April 11, 2016
by Kimberly Yang
Comments Off on Vitamin C Serum: Why I Love It (& Why You Should Too)
It’s no secret I adore the Vitamin C Serum—I mean, I have since day one. It was only a matter of time before it became the hero product of a story—which brings us here today for an official declaration of my love to the little green bottle of anti-aging serum.
I figured a list of reasons would be most appropriate—I’m a list-making type of girl, for one, and they’re easy on the eyes. Shall we? This is exactly what goes on in my mind when someone brings up the serum:
- The GLOW. It speaks for itself. Seeing is believing, and it’s a pretty sight I tell you.
- The anti-aging benefits. Anti-aging isn’t my main concern (I’m only 24), but preventive measures are key in any skincare regimen. Think for the long run. However, if you’re the instant gratification type, know this: good skin is a gradual process that takes consistency and diligence. It’s worth the addition into your current routine because the results are tangible. Anti-aging properties? Great. But it’s what the Vitamin C Serum does for my skin within a week that has me head over heels. (At this point only clichés can convey how much I love this product.)
- Seriously. The glow. The radiance. It’s imperative I reiterate just how crucial this is in achieving that dewy complexion. Highlighters and other pretty, shimmery powders optional.
- One of our MB staffers, Mei, calls this our little “superstar” product. I know the little bottle of pink is an all-time favorite, but go green! Give the green a chance. (Mei is also responsible for getting me hooked.)
- Skin becomes noticeably softer and smoother to the touch.
- It’s like an instant pick-me-up for tired skin. I never travel without this. After flying, I’m exhausted, dehydrated, and looking a little more sallow than I like. The moment I check into my hotel, I give my face a good cleanse and apply the Vitamin C Serum all over. The difference it makes in a few minutes is astounding.
I have my fair share of skincare woes, but lately people have been making a point of telling me that I have good skin. Call it a congratulatory high-five for getting over the hump of the hormone-raging teen years, but I think it’s the result of obsessively diligently using a moisturizer twice daily, and the Vitamin C Serum every other night (or under masks as a mini spa treatment).
This is it. A good moisturizer and Vitamin C Serum, together, is the recipe for beautiful skin.
. . .
Do you love the Vitamin C Serum as much as I do?
April 9, 2016
by Kimberly Yang
Comments Off on 3 Things You Need If You Have Combo-Oily Skin
When it comes to combination skin, I’d like to think I have the best of both worlds. Sure, it takes a little more finesse when finding the perfect combination, but what’s a little trial and error once you find a regimen that just works?
Got combo-oily skin? Me too! Here’s a threesome that works brilliantly for keeping combo-oily skin healthy, happy, and balanced:
1. Enzyme Cleansing Gel. Think of this cleanser as the anchor in your regimen: It cleanses, brightens, and refreshes your skin of any dulling or pore-clogging buildup without overdrying skin. It’s gentle on skin, but effective at reducing T-zone shine—making it the ideal face wash to keep on hand during the warmer months.
2. Kiwi Face Scrub. Exfoliation is #majorkey when it comes to keeping your complexion in check…especially if your skin veers on the oilier side. Regular exfoliation should be implemented into your regimen 2-3 times a week to help brighten, soften, and smooth your complexion.
What makes the Kiwi Face Scrub a combo-oily essential is the Kiwi Seeds themselves. Because of their small, firm texture, they’re able to polish away surface buildup to reveal healthier, clearer, more radiant skin.
3. Seaweed Night Cream. The Seaweed Night Cream is unique in that it’s an oil-free formula—an uncommon feat in the night cream territory—but still boasts a luxe, silky texture that makes it a dream to apply before bed. Mineral-rich Bladderwrack Extract (a marine botanical), Sodium Hyaluronate (a powerful humectant), Collagen, and Elastin combine in this skin-plumping formula that enhances your skin’s tone and texture and reveals a dewy complexion come morning.
This is one of those products you just have to see and feel for yourself—because once you experience it first-hand, you’ll fall in love.
. . .
April 1, 2016
by Kimberly Yang
Comments Off on The Monthly Edit: April Skincare Essentials
Welcome to #MarioMonthlyEdit, where you (yes, you) get a sneak peek at our current essentials. If you missed our last installment, check it out here. (We loved hearing all about your March must-haves!)
. . .
You guys—it’s finally spring! Sure, we were a bit doubtful about its arrival (it snowed on the first day of spring; go figure), but the weather’s been beautiful ever since. It’s official: The sweaters are going away and the spring skincare stash is coming out.
These are the April skincare essentials taking prime real estate in our medicine cabinet:
- Enzyme Cleansing Gel. Your favorite cleanser made the cut! The moment it gets warm out and our skin starts to feel a little more slick than usual, out comes the Enzyme Cleansing Gel. It’s fresh in every which way—which makes it the perfect pick-me-up to get you into the spring mood.
- Cucumber Cleansing Lotion. Ditto with this toner on the fresh factor. (If you’re curious as to why it’s named a “cleansing lotion,” head on over here.) Great for combination and oily skin types, this cooling formula helps remove excess shine and grime without overdrying skin.
- Facial Spray. It’s a perennial favorite, but come spring, it’s a necessity. The goal is to look fresh-faced and dewy always—and what easier way to achieve that than with a quick, refreshing mist? Spritz it on before and/or after you apply moisturizer for a hydrating boost.
- Oil Free Moisturizer SPF 17. When you start to shed off the heavy layers, it’s time to swap out your winter cream for a lightweight moisturizer. This one is a best-selling favorite because of its easily-absorbed, oil-free formula; plus, it provides essential broad spectrum protection to help shield your skin from damaging UVA/UVB rays.
- Flower & Tonic Mask. Floral for spring? Groundbreaking. But we’re willing to put up with the Miranda Priestly’s of the world for this mask. Formulated with Gardenia Extract (which contains Ferulic Acid, a powerful natural antioxidant) and natural minerals, our Flower & Tonic Mask helps decongest skin to re-balance your complexion.
- Enzyme Revitalizing Mask. If you have drier skin in need of a moisturizing boost, this is the mask for you. Our Enzyme Revitalizing Mask does exactly what its name purports to do: revitalize. Natural fruit enzymes from Papaya Extract help break down dulling buildup as a blend of Vitamin A and E Oils provide additional moisture, leaving your skin glowing and radiant.
- Citrus Body Cleanser. Don’t forget to spring clean your bodycare regimen, too. We’re obsessed with how sweet and fresh this shower gel is; it’s the ideal soap for morning showers or post-gym sessions.
- Apricot Super Rich Body Lotion. When the pros stash something in their makeup kit, you’d be smart to do the same. We started keeping this one shower-side after seeing one of our favorite MUAs use it on set: it’s creamy, it’s lightly fragranced, and it keeps you glowing head to toe.
. . .
March 30, 2016
by Kimberly Yang
Comments Off on Ingredient Spotlight: Benefits of Sweet Almond Oil
You know almonds are good for you, but just how good are they for your skin?
Sweet Almond Oil has been around forever, but it wasn’t until fairly recently that it received the recognition it deserves. Packed with antioxidant Vitamins A, B, E and rich in fatty acids, proteins, and a number of vitamins and minerals, this emollient is an ingredient that packs a punch—which is why it’s so good for your skin, hair, and overall health. Because of its lightweight easily-absorbed texture, Sweet Almond Oil is able to penetrate deeply into the skin to deliver immediate, skin-softening benefits.
(Fun fact: Sweet Almond Oil is actually derived from the same almonds you eat.)
But that’s not all.
Benefits of Sweet Almond Oil include:
- Nourishing the skin with antioxidants (Vitamins A and E!) and other essential nutrients to soften skin
- Smoothing the look of fines and wrinkles to reveal a more youthful-looking complexion
- Sealing in moisture to prevent dehydration
- Breaking down surface buildup to better cleanse skin
Add finely ground almonds to mix and you have yourself a winning combination. Sweet Almond Oil moisturizes the skin while the almond bits gently exfoliate the skin’s surface—revealing softer, smoother skin.
. . .
March 28, 2016
by Kimberly Yang
Comments Off on Q&A: Why Are Our Toners Called Cleansing Lotions?
Q. Why does Mario Badescu call its toners cleansing lotions?
A. It’s a question we get asked often—and we totally get why. (Another frequently asked question that piggybacks off of this one is whether or not our “cleansing lotions” are in-shower body lotions. They’re not ☺.)
“Cleansing lotion” is actually the classic name for toner. We’re keeping the label true to Mario Badescu’s original product names so his legacy remains intact and we remain authentic to the brand’s heritage.
Any more questions? Tweet us @mariobadescu!
. . .