It’s prom season, ladies & gents!
. . .
It’s not every day a girl gets the royal treatment – primped from head to toe, hair perfectly coiffed, dressed to the nines and dripping in pretty gems and jewels – so indulge in it! And though getting primped and pampered can make every girl feel like a princess, the key to feeling confident in every photo (and on the dance floor!) is feeling good in the skin you’re in.
Beautiful prom makeup needs beautiful skin and beautiful skin starts with good skin care. The best part, however, is that it’s a lot easier than you think. Whether your prom is in two weeks, one week or in just a few days, take a breath, pretty lady, and smile. We’ve broken it all down for you in our perfect prom skincare guide.
Ready for gorgeous, glowing skin for perfect prom makeup?
1-2 Weeks Before…
- DIY an at-home facial. Ideally, this should be done the week before the event, but we know there’s a whole host of last-minute things to handle before prom. Dress alterations, hair trials, nail appointments and prom weekend plan finalizations stress you and your skin out, so take a break. After all the steaming and treating, your skin will be healthy, radiant and clear – just in time for prom pictures.
- Exfoliate regularly. Try adding a supplemental cleanser like our Glycolic Foaming Cleanser into your facial regimen and our Raspberry Body Scrub to your body care routine. Focus on the areas that will be on show: your neck, shoulders, back, arms and feet.
- Build up your glow. This one’s optional, but if it’s some extra bronze-y glow you’re after, skip the tanning booths and opt for an oil-free self-tanner instead. Two weeks gives you enough time to gradually build your tan up to the color you want.
- Tackle acne. Tackle it – but be gentle about it. Avoid rough, granular scrubs and never pick at spots (you might scar your skin). Instead, adopt a few extra steps in your regimen so that in a week’s time, your skin will be visibly clearer. The Drying Mask helps reduce oil and control breakouts while drying out existing acne; follow it with the Healing and Soothing Mask and you will be well on your way to a healthier, clearer complexion. Double the effectiveness by using a spot treatment underneath each mask. Apply the Drying Lotion for whiteheads and Buffering Lotion for cystic acne.
- Banish blackheads. This is where our Silver Powder comes in. (We tell you how to use it here.)
The Week Of…
- Keep up your skincare regimen. Remember: cleanse, tone and moisturize twice daily, and exfoliate 2-3 times a week. Yes – it’s that simple to maintain beautiful skin.
- Thread, tweeze and wax at least two days before. Give your skin a few days to let any redness and swelling subside.
- Perfect your complexion. Here’s our little secret to prom makeup-ready skin: the Temporary Lifting Mask. It’s the ultimate special occasion mask that decongests even the largest of pores, revitalizes the skin and tightens everything up (so that makeup applies flawlessly).
The Night Before…
- Spot treat any blemishes. On the day of the prom, however, keep those areas well moisturized so makeup doesn’t sink into dry spots and highlight pimples.
- Exfoliate from head to toe! It’s especially important the night before for super soft, glowing skin.
- Shave. It’s always best to shave before bedtime to allow the skin to recuperate properly.
- Moisturize. Bring out the Apricot Super Rich Body Lotion. Massage well into the skin to restore all hydration post-exfoliation so that when you wake up on prom day, your skin is silky smooth.
- Slather on lip balm. Well-moisturized lips are key to lipstick and/or gloss application.
- Get your beauty sleep. Aurora wasn’t called Sleeping Beauty for nothing.
… And it’s Prom Day!
- Drink lots of water. Hydrated skin is happy skin!
- Use a lightweight eye cream. Our Ceramide Eye Gel is non-greasy and incredibly lightweight, which means it’s less likely to move under makeup. Keeping it in the fridge overnight turns the gel into an instant morning pick-me-up and de-puffer.
- Moisturize well. Only you know what works best for your skin. Stick with your favorite daily moisturizer today – this is neither the time nor the place to experiment with new products.
- Hydrate your body too. Go lightweight here; the last thing you want is to feel uncomfortably sticky during pictures and slick (in the greasy sense) on the dance floor.
- Finish (and refresh!) with a spritz or two. Set it all with a few spritzes of our Rosewater Facial Spray. Everything just melds together and sinks into the skin beautifully so your makeup looks dewy and flawless.
- Shimmer and shake! The secret’s in our Summer Shine Body Lotion. Glowing legs, highlighted collarbones, shimmering shoulders – you name it, you have it.
. . .
Are you ready for prom? Tag us – we want to see your perfect prom skin! #mbprom