We love Avignone Chemists (and no, not just because they’re a long-time Mario Badescu Skin Care stockist!) so much so that no trip to the West Village is complete without a peek (turned spree) around the full-service pharmacy. Everything about the shop is perfect – from the gorgeous goodies to that undeniable old-school NYC vibe, to the incredibly passionate staff…
Intrigued? Here are 5 facts about Avignone Chemists:
- Avignone has been at 226 Bleeker Street./281 6th Avenue since 1929 when its original location (59 MacDougal Street) was demolished for the expansion of Houston Street.
- It houses artifacts from the early 20th century, all of which were discovered in the shop’s basement during renovations.
- From 1985 to 1999, the store was known as Avignone Love Health and Beauty.
- Avignone has had the same phone number since 1952!
- It’s one of few existing (and thriving) independent pharmacies.
Thus, we couldn’t be happier – nor prouder – that Avignone Chemists was awarded the 2013 Village Award from Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation (GVSHP) in recognition for “115 years as an independent Greenwich Village pharmacy with exceptional service to their customers, their community and their history.”
No one is more deserving in our eyes; Avignone Chemists has always been highly involved in the community, supporting a local team in the Greenwich Village Little League, donating to Our Lady of Pompeii Church School and volunteering in Sir Winston Churchill Square (just to name a few good deeds). It’s not just a one-stop-shop for all things skin and hair, but a treasure trove for beauty enthusiasts and Greenwich Village lovers. (Read more about Avignone Chemists at the GVSHP blog.)
It’s an icon, a landmark and most importantly, a symbol of true New York heritage.
Congratulations, Avignone Chemists!
. . .
281 6th Ave New York, NY 10014