Summer means sun, shorts, sandals, bathing suits and bronzed skin. But with beach hair and shorter hemlines comes the dangers associated with too much or unprotected sun exposure. No one wants sun damage or pre-mature aging signs; thus, always take preventative measures in preparing and caring to keep your skin in tip-top condition for the ultimate skin-baring season.
. . .
1. Apply sunscreen religiously. You hear it all the time for good reason it’s the only surefire way to protect and prevent Always apply sunscreen 20 minutes prior to allow your skin to absorb the product; re-apply every hour or as needed. Keep in mind that a high SPF number is no longer just enough – you need to look for sunscreens that offer protection against both UVA & UVB rays.
2. Use a cleanser with salicylic or glycolic acid. This is for the combo/oily skin types out there. These acids help loosen dead skin cells to promote cell turnover, in effect helping shed damage while keeping the complexion clean to prevent future breakouts. Ignore this tip if you have dry, combo/dry and/or sensitive skin and opt for one of our gentle cream soaps instead.
Do note, however, that using these cleansers increase sensitivity to the sun. Save them for use at nighttime, and moisturize during the day with extra SPF protection.
3. Moisturize with SPF. This should be done year round, but especially in summer. With the onset of warmer weather, consider switching your current favorite for another with higher SPF and lighter formulation to prevent sun spots, freckles and early signs of aging.
4. …and just moisturize, period. Summer sun – in combination with the heat, humidity, beach, chlorine and air conditioning – will often leave skin much drier than usual. Moisturize with SPF before sun, and use a richer lotion after sun and before bed to keep skin as hydrated, soft and smooth as possible.
5. Don’t skimp on eye cream and lip protection. Sun exposure will gradually thin skin and cause wrinkles. Protect the delicate areas of your face with appropriate creams and balms.
We love: Eye & Lip Sunscreen SPF 15
. . .
Look out for Part II of our Top 10 list!