While a bit of snowfall here and there make for a scenic touch to the winter season, let’s be honest: the cold, the slush, the harsh winds and occasional blizzard is hardly ideal. Harsh as the weather may be, there’s no reason your skin should be bullied into uncomfortable dryness and tautness! Wrap that scarf around, zip up that wool coat, and say good-bye to dry.
1. See a skincare specialist. We all like to think we know what’s best for ourselves, but the truth is, the expertise of a skincare specialist can make a world of a difference in how you understand and treat your skin. Skincare consultations at the our New York salon are free (and there’s no needto book an appointment!) or, if you’re not in the area, take a few minutes to fill out our skincare questionnaire for an analysis. From there, you’ll be given recommendations and advice catered specifically for your skin type.
2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. It’s not repeated without reason – drinking water has its multitude of health benefits, including keeping the appearance of your skin younger and fresher.
3. Moisturize like you’ve never before. We typically advise having a different skincare regimen for the spring/summer and fall/winter months because your skin has different needs depending on its environment. Upgrade to a thicker, if not oil-based (depending on your skin type, of course!) daily moisturizer to help nourish, hydrate and protect the skin from harsh conditions outdoors. Indulge in richer body lotions to prevent the rest of your skin from uncomfortable dryness or cracking. And if you think your skin needs an extra kick besides that facial moisturizer, look into investing in a protective cream for added defense and/or a night cream.
4. Slather on the sunscreen. Too many people make the mistake of limiting sunscreens just for the summer months. Damaging UV rays are present year-round, and with the added danger of snow glare, can harm your skin. If anything, be sure to target your face and your hands with a moisturizer or lotion with SPF!
5. Be kind to your skin. Skin needs exfoliation on a regular basis, but hold off on the grittier or harsher scrubs. Because your skin is more delicate, and anything abrasive can further irritate it, reach instead for something like our gentle, non-abrasive Almond & Honey Scrub (perfect for your face and even your body!) or our Glycolic Foaming Cleanser to help rid your skin of any dulling buildup and promote healthy, cell turnover rate. It’s the key to radiant, glowing skin, even in the wintertime.
. . .
What are your tips and tricks for winter skin?