I’m one of those girls who likes the idea of being a dedicated fitness queen- running every morning, gym at least five days a week and a bit of hot yoga to start off every weekend. In my Twitter bio I admit to having sporadic Pilates tendencies, because my workout is exactly that: sporadic. At least I’m diligent with my skin care regimen!
The point is this: regardless of how dedicated (or not) I am to my choice of exercise, a good workout needs an equally good post-workout beauty routine. While sweating is fabulous for the mind, soul and body, it’s not so great for the complexion as it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria (which leads to breakouts!). Never walk out of a gym/studio/class/your living room red-faced and sweaty.
You kick your booty into shape, we get your skin into shape. Deal?
1. Cleanse! My favorite and only post-workout cleanser is the Enzyme Cleansing Gel; none other will ever replace it in my yoga bag or bathroom countertop. I personally prefer something creamier for everyday use, but immediately following a particularly sweaty Pilates/Zumba/dance session, all I want is to feel super clean and incredibly refreshed. The Enzyme Cleansing Gel does exactly that, and trust – there’s nothing better than feeling rejuvenated after working your heart out for over an hour. (The Enzyme Cleansing Gel is usually recommended for oily or combination/oily skin types; be sure to use the cleanser that is right for your skin!)
2. Steam it out. Sometimes I’ll pop into a sauna, but if I’m just working out in the comfort of my own home (thanks to Tracy Anderson), I’ll recreate a quick facial sauna and relax for about 20 minutes or so before I drink my weight in coconut water. A quick splash of water to clean and then…
3. Moisturize. By now you all know of my inability to go through any skincare process without moisturizing properly; the Oil-Free Moisturizer SPF 17 never leaves my handbag for that very reason. I love that this one in particular is incredibly lightweight and leaves my skin feeling nothing but hydrated and happy.
4. … and because I’m obsessed with glowing skin, I’ll spritz my face with the Rosewater Facial Spray. Part of the beauty of exercising is getting that natural post-workout glow, so why not enhance it?
If by some chance I have to be seen in public straight out of a sweat session, I’ll give my body a few spritzes of the rosewater as well. It doubles incredibly well as a (hydrating!) body mist that leaves you smelling oh-so-lovely. Your only giveaway would be the yoga pants and neon sneakers.
5. Avoid makeup: let your skin breathe. Work that post-sweat glow! If you’re a girl who can’t be without her lipgloss, though, give your pout a few swipes of a glossy lip balm. No one will know the difference.
. . .
What’s your post-workout beauty routine look like?